Liquitex was the first water-based acrylic paint created in 1955 and since then we have partnered with artists to ensure that we continually evolve and innovate –resulting in a long history of acrylic innovation that includes:
- The first Acrylic Gloss and Matte Mediums.
- The first lecture demonstration program in 1965, which continues today as The Fine Art Collective.
- The first removable acrylic varnish in 1967, which has evolved into today’s Soluvar Removable Varnish.
- The first paint to be labeled for ASTM standards, toxicity, quality and lightfastness.
- The first value series acrylic paint available in the U.S.: Liquitex® Basics Acrylic Colors.
- The first to manufacture "Hue" colors: offering alternatives to heavy metal and fugitive colors.
- The first artist acrylic available in archival tubes: seven layers of plastic, paper and metal.
- The first to create iridescent acrylic paint; acrylic enamels and a variety of innovative acrylic mediums including acrylic opaque extender mediums – Ultra Matte Fluid and Gel Mediums; among many others.
Today, Liquitex offers the largest array of vibrant acrylic paints, mediums and tools to enable acrylic artists to continually explore their art and take it to new and unprecedented boundaries. With our innovative drive, our creative passion and our intense desire to share the joys of artistic expression through unparalleled education and community outreach programs, Liquitex is and will continue to be a strong partner to help artists explore their art for decades to come.